On The particularities of the age level
A child in the third year of life grows literally, not by the year, but by the hour. For the child, every word uttered by adults, and every new piece of knowledge forms his or her internal world.
This age is simultaneously considered an age of great achievements for the child, as well as a difficult period of obstinate disobedience, as the child is passionately seeking independence as he tries to find himself in the enormous and surprising interesting world.
What happens to a kid in the third year of life?
- The need for praise appears, and self-love is awakened along with the emergence of independence. Children of this age are inclined to express a desire to demonstrate their own intelligence and skills. The child wants to be perceived by adults as intelligent and worthy.
- The activity level of the child begins to increase, as well as certain intentions and desires which often do not coincide with those of the parents. The strategy of “persuasion” (as well as that of “coercion”) no longer apply as the wishes of the child have become sufficiently ordered. From the parents should come respect for the child’s right to make choices, and they should give the child as many opportunities as possible for self-expression, whilst gently turning his/her interests in a useful direction.
The child is growing rapidly
- Memory processes are maturing, and the child’s active vocabulary is growing intensively. If, at this moment, the child is presented with the maximum opportunity for development, at the end of the third year, the child may achieve a vocabulary of 1500 words! The child is learning how to compose complex phrases from several words, picking up on the speech of the parents.
- Social experience is now appearing, and the child is beginning to comprehend the logic of the behaviour and actions of adults. This is a varied “school of life, so it is quite important that the child have decent role models. For example, the child should not witness family conflicts or scenes of violent breakdown of relations.
The child is beginning to master social and cultural values
- At this age, the basic cultures of thought and communication are taking hold, and future speech patterns are forming. Within the child, a passion for knowledge awakens which, combined with the desire for independence, is an ideal soil for the emergence of interests, and the formation of the future intellectual possibilities of your child.
- There is intensive development of the imagination. The child learns to fantasise, imagining itself in many different situations. The formation of various behavioural models occurs: At the parents’ request, the child can already portray a “little mouse” or a “bunny rabbit” and the child is able to act one way or the other by personal choice. It is quite important, especially in the third year, to show the child the “right” orientation, and instill respect for true authority.
Judge for yourself: The child is thirsty for new knowledge, strives for independence and self-expression, begins actively fantasising, and taking in everything that happens around it.
Seize the moment!
The development of a 2-3 year old child helps lay a strong and reliable foundation which will allow the child to feel confident in his abilities in the future, both in school, and in daily life. This is a key and fateful moment.
It has been shown that the high quality development of the child from 2 years will give an excellent result in the future. Such children more easily adapt to school, learn better, and are more talented and passionate. They are also noticeably stronger intellectually and socially. Of course a child has to be developed. But how?